Munise Aksoy: More Useful Websites
- This OSHA website includes links to certain operations that are carried out during oil and gas well drilling and the potential hazards that come with these operations. The links also include a set of easy-to-understand points on how to avoid hazards that workers may face and corresponding images that provide additional guide. https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/oilandgas/drilling/drilling.html
- Food and Water Watch is a nonprofit consumer organization that aims to safeguard clean water and food in the United States. Its members have conducted an extensive research on the social costs of fracking in Pennsylvania. The unique case study explains in depth their findings on fatalities in the oil and gas industry, social disorder crimes, and sexually transmitted diseases along with their recommendations on further research to determine the long-term social impacts of fracking. https://www.scribd.com/document/170377773/The-Social-Costs-of-Fracking
- The following link includes an image of a timeline prepared by Paul Horn of Inside Climate News that outlines how the industry may be exempt from a certain federal law. This short article talks specifically about how the Environmental Protection Agency went about classifying most oil and gas waste as non-hazardous. https://insideclimatenews.org/news/1006/
- Randy Moyer, a frack worker, tells about his four months of experience on a fracking site where his job was to clean tanks and wastewater from contaminated wells. In this four-part video, he explains how his health has been affected (part 1 & 2), the conditions he worked in (part 3), and the illegal dumping going on at the site he worked for (part 4).
- Inside Energy is an environmental news reporting website on the energy industries that power America. This series of articles provides information on oil and gas worker safety issues, fatality rates, which states have the leading numbers in worker injuries, and all about the “Dark Side of the Boom” in the oil and gas industry. http://insideenergy.org/series/dark-side- of-the-boom/
- Frackcident is an injury law firm that focuses on personal injury cases and aims to help frack workers and neighbors in fracking regions since 1993. The sublinks provide useful information on royalty fraud, chemicals, environmental risks, equipment, and worker safety in the oil and gas industry. There is also an additional link where workers who have been injured at fracking sites can report their case and learn more about lawsuits. http://supremehotbot.com/fracking-lawsuits/why-is-worksite-safety-such-a-low-priority-in-the-fracking-industry/